10 reasons to build a SIP (Structural Insulated Panels) home in Tampa Bay.
If you dream of building a house in St Petersburg, FL or anywhere else in Tampa Bay, here’s some food for thought before you go on with your project. In fact, we will be writing a whole separate post on what you need to know before building a house in Tampa Bay, but today I want to share with you what I found out about SIP homes.
SIP homes are built with Structural Insulated Panels. It’s a composite building material consisting of an insulating layer of rigid polymer foam sandwiched between two layers of structural board. SIPs combine several components of conventional building, such as studs and joists, insulation, vapor barrier and air barrier. They can be used for many different applications, such as exterior wall, roof, floor and foundation systems.
So once you decided on your budget and found a desired vacant lot for your future home in St Petersburg or anywhere in Tampa Bay, here’re the reasons to consider SIP homes:
1. Energy efficiency. The walls will have higher insulating properties, which leads to fewer drafts and a decrease in operating costs 30 to 50% savings in energy costs.
2. Strength. Independent testing has proven that SIPS are structurally superior to conventional framing.
3. Clean. Does not provide an environment that encourages the development of mold or mildew within walls as conventional construction does.
4. No termites. There’s no food value for termites in a SIP home.
5. Smaller A/C unit. Because of superior walls and roof insulation you will need a smaller, more efficient HVAC unit.
6. Quick construction (can be done in 2-3 weeks!) will result in lesser labor erection costs.
7. “Energy Star” homes hold higher re-sale value.
8. Homes qualify for “Energy Mortgages” which stretch the debt-to-income qualify ratios.
9. This is maybe a stretch, but cleaner indoor air quality can mean – less doctor bills.
10. Lower insurance. You can save as much as 50% on your home insurance bill compared to frame house coverage.
There are many more reasons to choose a SIP home when you consider building a house in St Petersburg and Tampa Bay. As you know, in our area we often lay in the path of the hurricanes, and SIP homes are built to latest codes and will withstand up to 140 m/hr winds. You should do your home work before building a house and consider all options.
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions and need help finding a piece of land or vacant lot in St Petersburg or anywhere in Tampa Bay.
Tampa Bay Real Estate Blog. St Pete Blog. The HOME Team.